What does it take to join the circus?
A couple of things.
2. An insane amount of patience.
3. A disappearing ego (it appears onstage, then disappears offstage).
4. The belief that living in a warehouse or industrial sector and making your way completely with whatever amenities you are given or can provide yourself with is romantic.
5. Know-how of what it takes to make money, but a belief that money is only a means to an end.
6. Almost infinite love of art and love of craft.
7. Determination in the face of extreme adversity—even the kind that cannot be bought out, named, or convinced over coffee.
8. A willingness to, occasionally, starve for your passion.
9. Realizing that the romance is an illusion.
10. Believing that, no matter how hard it is, what you are doing now is always worth it because it is always true, and that you really quite wouldn't be as happy doing anything else.
This Blog Has a New Address
8 years ago