Thursday, July 9, 2009

Tree Outliner for Organization Geeks

This is a short post for all you organization freaks out there. I just recently (today) stumbled on a great little Mac app for making tree-based outlines. It is called, out of all things, Tree.



It's tiny, straightforward, and it's probably my new favorite application. Funny thing is, it's hard to make an already simple process already more expedient than it is. Since the first website I designed for a client (which would date back to high school), I would create site outlines in TextEdit. These site outlines would become the map of webpages for the website, as well as describe the navigation for the site (each heading or subheading would be a button on the homepage linking to a sub-page, with its own list of links). Maybe it wasn't pretty, but it worked, and I didn't need fancy editors because the outlines were supposed to be short, sweet, and easy to send to the client through email.

Well… I'll be using this spiffy little program from now on. It allows you to add notes, of course, to each subheading. They can be collapsed or expanded from a tree-like layout to a bullet-point layout, and you can easily drag and drop other sections from each other. The only thing I'd ask would be to be able to post sticky-like post-its wherever I want on the outline, as if it was a digital whiteboard. But that's about it. It exports things to text files and OmniOutliner too, which is a necessary feature.

In fact, just today I had finished the new site outline for the upcoming Arcosanti website (redesigned of course) using this little program. Even Tomiaki seemed to like the program—and when something passes enthusiastically under his eye, you know it has to be doing something right.

So if you're like me and constantly need a way to make simple, text-based outlines, you should really check it out by visiting this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers